Monday, August 30, 2010

having a moment

brooke starts preschool tomorrow. she's been "in school" since she was 18 months old, so tomorrow should not be a big deal. but it is. brooke moving from the "young preschool" room to the "preschool" room feels like we're turning a corner. brooke's transitioning from "little girl" to "big girl," and i know there's no turning back. it puts a lump in my throat. yesterday we took the kids shopping, and we bought brooke a new outfit for school. we bought a 4T dress. why does 4T seem so much bigger than 3T? is it because it's only 1 year away from 5T? today i took her to get a haircut. as i stood there telling the woman how i wanted her hair cut, i had a moment. a moment where i knew that in the very near future, i will no longer be able to tell someone how to cut brooke's hair. brooke will want to be in charge of her own hair just like she already wants to be in charge of her own clothes. so i savored the moment... of being in charge, of taking care of my little, big girl.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Beautifully said! We "met the teacher" today and I cried as I have at every school transition we have ever done. Why I always cry I don't really know, but you hit on some good ones! All the best to you both for a great school year! See you soon!